One of the projects, which was scheduled some time ago, was the construction of a personalized presence light. For this project I decided to use a wooden base with an Arduino and a figure printed in 3D.

First the bases were cut. Due to the low height of the wood it was necessary to cut two pieces, prepare them and to glue it.

Two circles were cut into pine wood with approximately 14 cm in diameter, each.


The first was cut with a jigsaw, but due to the fact that this was a time consuming process, I decided to cut the second on the table saw and end up with the belt sander. After that, it was necessary to perfect both in order to be without imperfections.

Belt Sander

The bases were glued with wood glue, clamped and dried for 24 hours.


After that time, the sides of both parts were aligned with a router with a flush trim bit. This bit allows you to level out a part using the bearing area as guide.

Flush trim bit

Next, it was necessary to create the cavity to house the electronics and the socket for the figure. To create these cavities was used, again, the router with a straight bit.

Straight bit
Figure Stand

Finally, I made the finishing touches. Create a profile all around with a ogee bit and varnish with matt wood varnish.

Ogee bit
Finished profile


 Tiago Santos, 2017
 Code to Marvin Night Light
 Free to share
int led = 11;
int reed = 10;

void setup() {
 // put your setup code here, to run once:
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(reed, INPUT);

void loop() {
 // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
 if( digitalRead(reed) == HIGH ){
   digitalWrite(led, HIGH);


You can find the code on my GitHub account.


The needed electronics are the following:

When the magnet approaches the reed, closes the circuit. The Arduino, when detecting that the circuit closes, turns on the LEDs. When the circuit opens, the Arduino switches off the LEDs.


After testing the circuit and verifying that it worked correctly, it was only necessary to mount everything in its place.


The magnet was placed in the place and transferred to the figure. After this was fixed in the figure with the help of a soldering iron.


It was necessary to replace the magnet after this process because, with the heat, it lost the magnetism. The second magnet was fixed in the location with CA Glue.

Marvin Timelapse

Comments are closed.